For today’s list, I’m going to actor to mean the profession of acting and not specifically male actors.
- Marlon Brando (Old school Brando was the face of Method Acting, and then older Brando did wonders without reading scripts. Some of his movies weren’t great in the end but his performances were excellent.)
- Robert Deniro (Taxi Driver? Cape Fear? Raging Bull? Some of his newer films have been silly, but he’s the only actor of his age still giving good performances. Silver Linings Playbook?)
- Daniel Day Lewis (I think no pick on this list needs less explanation.)
- Meryl Streep (She gets more attention for her body of work because of how many amazing performances than her individual performances, but she’s been amazing in movies that otherwise weren’t great, like Into The Woods. She was heartbreaking!)
- Cate Blanchet (Honestly there are so many performances to pick from but playing Katherine Hepburn in The Aviator is my personal favorite!)
- John Cazale (He was in five films, and he was amazing in all 5. Also three best pic winners and two nominees. Pretty perfect record.)
- Jack Nicholson (Not a transformative actor but if he read the dictionary I would watch it. He’s so interesting to watch.)
- Walton Goggins (I’m pretty new to his work, but Django, Hateful Eight and Vice Principals have me hooked. I’ll be going back and watching SOA and Justified now.)
- Gary Oldman (Sirius Black, the bad guy from The Fifth Element, and Commisioner Gordon are all the same guy? He’s unrecognizable performance to performance.)
- Matt Damon (He’s not as hyped as Leonardo Dicaprio but just as good. He’s the underrated version!)
What’d you think? Let me know.