So today’s list is a bit of a challenge, but in a different way. When I think of the phrase “Things I Crave,” I think of either food, drugs and alcohol, or sex. The word crave has that connotation for me. I don’t really ever crave drugs and alcohol, I won’t be talking about my sexual desires on this blog, and so we’re left with food. But I don’t want to just write about food, so when forming today’s top 10, I deliberately attempted to limit the amount of food on the list.
Here we go:
- Homemade Ravioli (As you may remember this is my favorite food, but it is also a fairly involved process, and so I get them about once a year. So I crave them because I get them sparingly.)
- Chinese food (I love Chinese food, but where I live it seems as if good Chinese food is hard to come by. I recently went a couple of months—probably the longest stretch in my adult life— without having any because I hadn’t been satisfied with the quality. A couple of nights ago though, after having written about my favorite foods, I was craving it, and Sarah and I ventured outside of our area and got the best damn Chinese food I’ve had in a few years.)
- Mountain Dew (So I have a long sordid history with Mountain Dew. I don’t want to compare it to a drug problem, but since I’ve never had an issue with any other substance Mountain Dew was kind of like that for me. For the better part of 15 years, I drank multiple Mountain Dews a day. When Code Red came out it was my favorite, then Voltage—or Blue Dew as I call it— took the throne, and the occasionally seasonal Pitch Black was awesome too. But I would have a very serious thirst that only Mountain Dew could quench, and I quickly realized it was a sugar addiction, and Mountain Dew was my main fix. In June of 2015 I quit drinking Mountain Dew, and although back in July I had two, I’ve been pretty good since. Even through all of that I still crave it every time I walk by it in a store.)
- Cameras (When I was a little kid, my family brought me to concerts and Red Sox games, and more than any of the music or baseballs, what I was fascinated by was the camera equipment. There were cranes, and jibs. It was so exciting. As I grew older my fascination continued. I currently have a Canon T3i, but I also have some classic Polaroids, I had a Brownie, and a couple of old old Pentax. A lot of it was for decoration, but there is something about the feel, and mechanics of a camera that still excites me to this day, and when I see one in a store, or see someone holding one when I’m out and about, I always look, and secretly I always crave their camera.)
- Books (I’m a big reader, but I also love buying books. I buy at a much faster rate than I can possibly read, but it doesn’t stop my craving to buy more. Every time I finish a book I have so many options, without even leaving my house, and that’s why I crave more, to always be ahead of my own reading habit.)
- Attention (This is a pretty honest answer, but I’m on social media, I blog, and while I get a lot out of writing, and I love it, and would probably continue to do so if no one ever read it, there is a craving for attention for it.)
- Purpose (I assume we all crave this to some degree, but I want to know what I’m here on Earth to do. I love being a husband to Sarah, and I love being a father to Logan, and if being either or both of those things is my big purpose in life I’ll be very honored, but maybe my purpose is to write a book that changes the world, or maybe not. I crave this, but I also know that there is a very good chance I won’t realize my purpose until the end of my life, and that doesn’t really bother me. I suppose it would be fair of me to say I crave to have a purpose, but that doesn’t mean I need to realize what that purpose is. For right now, I’m happy just having my goals.)
- Knowledge (This may sound super pretentious, but it’s true. I’ve been in school for at least 25 years, and the more I go the more I like it. My commutes consist of listening to podcasts with interviews, and analysis, and news. I really enjoy understanding things better.)
- Sunshine (This may sound bizarre, but I get bad seasonal affect disorder, and sunlight helps me. If I spend a day in my apartment, going outside and just feeling the sun helps me to feel better.)
- Sleep (This one was a toss up, between sleep, and showers. Showers are kind of a cure all for me, and my day doesn’t work as well without them, but sleep is key. My son Logan is almost 5 months old, and he’s a pretty good sleeper for that age, but my sleep still hasn’t completely bounced back, and honestly it was declining before he was born. I cannot sleep nearly as much as I used to be able to. I wake up before my 6 am alarm most days, but not because I’m so well rested. Sleep is key, and I crave it, but can’t seem to attain it enough.)
So that is my top 10 things I crave. What did you think? What do you crave?